Heather L. Carlson
Heather represents clients in all aspects of litigation, including state and federal administrative proceedings, trial, pre and post-trial procedures and appeals. She also has extensive experience in reviewing and negotiating severance packages and representing clients in alternative dispute resolution procedures including private mediation and arbitration.
She has successfully litigated numerous cases on behalf of individuals, corporations, and small businesses in many different types of cases including personal injury, workers compensation, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and neglect, business disputes, insurance coverage, construction and employment law.
Heather’s labor and employment practice includes sexual harassment, racial harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, FMLA, wage and hour, whistleblower, retaliation, severance agreements, unemployment compensation claims and general employment law. In addition to her courtroom experience, Heather has represented individuals, corporations and small businesses in front of civil rights agencies including the EEOC, the Davenport Civil Rights Commission and the Iowa Civil Rights Commission.
Heather is an active member of numerous professional organizations including the Iowa State Bar Association Iowa State Bar Association-Labor and Employment Law Section Council, American Bar Association, and the National Employment Lawyers Association. Heather frequently speaks on employment law topics at continuing legal education seminars.
Heather is an Illinois native, raised on a farm in the north central part of the state. After earning her Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, from Augustana College, Rock Island, in 1996, she attended law school at St. Louis University and earned her Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1999. While in law school, Heather served as a teaching assistant for Legal Research & Writing and served as Executive Editor of the St. Louis University Public Law Review.
Heather is an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, the national directory of attorneys, indicating the highest level of professional skill and excellence.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Workers Compensation
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Personal Injury-Defense
- Insurance Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Construction Law
- Industrial and Workplace Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Kansas, 1999
- Missouri, 2000
- Illinois, 2000
- Iowa, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, 2005
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa, 2005
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2011
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. cum laude - 1999
- Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois, Rock Island, Illinois
- B.A. cum laude - 1996
- “Monitoring Employees: Privacy Issues and Employer Risks” National Business Institute, Employment Law: 2014 Comprehensive Guide. Cedar Rapids, Iowa, November 19, 2014 - Present
- “Overview of Confidentiality, Non—Compete, and Non-Solicitation Agreements.” Sterling Education, Hiring and Terminating: The Ins and Outs of Employment Law, Davenport, Iowa. December 2, 2014
- MRA Employment Law Update, Moline, Illinois. February 28, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Iowa State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Scott County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section Council (2010-2013)
- The Women’s Connection
- National Employment Lawyers Association/Illinois
- Supreme Court Advisory Commission on Rules of Civil Procedure , 2014 - Present